Responsible for accurate and timely estimating and management of assigned projects. Projects are bid with accurate pricing, scope, specification, and production rates. Manages jobs according to schedule, on budget, and at or above bid-day gross profit margin. “Scope of Work” is completed to Company standard of quality and professionalism.
- Manages the estimation process on all assigned projects per company standards, fully utilizing company’s estimating template in Excel, Master Builder or Timberline software.
- Manages the pricing on materials and negotiation with subs prior to job start and through issuance of subcontracts, including tracking and follow-up on RFI’s and submittals
- Manages the Change Order process from estimate to change order signing
- Prepares proposals and participate in presentation to client.
- Fosters an enthusiastic, creative, “can do” attitude, and shares the responsibility for the Company and estimating department success in reaching its goals.
- Maintains open, daily communication with field staff and client, with daily updates via daily field report to client.
- Holds responsibility for success of projects assigned, including:
- Project planning and jobsite oversight
- Timely identification of problems and proposal of creative solutions,
- Preparation of detailed project construction schedule;
- Overview of jobsite safety procedures and practices;
- Conducts regular project progress meetings and fosters teamwork among all involved parties.
- Manages and controls project costs; completes estimated hours cost to complete reports.
- Rigorously manages subcontractors, and suppliers, construction schedule updates, overall project quality control and project close out procedures.
- Initiates and runs bi-weekly production meeting with operations manager.
Skills & Experience
- Proactive, flexible, team player who is comfortable working in a small company environment taking on a leadership role
- Worked as estimator / project manager for minimum of 5 years in a general contracting company
- BS or BA degree preferable in construction management or engineering, or experience equivalent
- Highly motivated, self-starter
- Organized, with excellent time management skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work in it and on it simultaneously
- Able to take coaching and feedback
- Forward looking, able to see the problem well in advance, having a solution in place before a crisis
- Ability to understand architectural intent and work through low levels of detail, ability to read and interpret architectural plans, details and specifications. Ability to see in three dimensions from two-dimensional data.
- Has a full range of computer literacy, and be able to organize a variety of data. Has done estimating in an automated software system utilizing database.
- Thorough understanding of construction specifications both within Company and the industry. Comprehension of all units of measure, able to convert between various units of measure.
- Strong mathematic skills, grounded in algebra, geometry and simple math.
- Computer literacy – computer estimating, complete competency in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, Master Builder, Timberline
- Able to produce accurate and thorough take off from a wide range of drawings
- Able to communicate clearly, concisely and personably in both written and verbal forms of communication.
- Able to foresee problems & difficulties and solve proactively
- Knowledge of building material, both materials in the industry and Company specific.
- Knowledge of equipment used in the industry
- Team player who takes feedback constructively